Andouille or andouille sausage is a sausage made with pork, wine, seasonings, and spices such as garlic, pepper, onion, and is normally smoked in length of hours over sugar cane and pecan wood, giving it an exceptional flavor. The flavor of the sausage can go from moderately hot to intensely spicy depending on the producer or the maker of the Andouille.
Originating from France, immigrants have brought it to Louisiana which is the reason why it is usually associated or linked with Louisiana Creole cooking and cuisine.
Here are some of the best Andouille sausage brands in the market that can help you get a head start on which to buy for your home cooking or even for a bigger crowd if you’ve got to cook for an event or occasion.
Andouille Sausage Brands Comparison 2023
See more best andouille sausage deals today:
Bestseller No. 4
Duke’s Cajun Andouille Pork Sausages, 5 oz
- Andouille smoked sausages made with fire-roasted red peppers and a special blend of Cajun spices
- Item Package Length: 4.1cm
- Item Package Width: 17.0cm
- Item Package Height: 20.0cm
Bestseller No. 7
- 1 lb. pack
- This sausage will enhance the flavor of any dish.
- Try it in gumbos, beans, jambalaya, pasta dishes, grilled or even pan fried. USDA approved.
Bestseller No. 8
Peaceful Squirrel Variety, Duke’s, Shorty Smoked Sausages Variety of 7 Flavors Original Recipe, Hatch Green Chile, Hot & Spicy, Cajun Style Andouille, Teriyaki, Chorizo & Lime, Hickory BBQ, Gluten Free, No MSG, No Artificial Preservatives, 5 Ounce Each
- We carefully curate boxes that guarantee supreme snacking satisfaction! We curate, you enjoy!
- We craft these spicy meat sticks with fire-roasted red peppers, a special blend of Cajun spices, and real hickory hardwood smoke for a soul-warming Southern flavor.
- VARIETY INCLUDES: 1 of Each: Original, Hatch Green Chile, Hot & Spicy, Cajun Style Andouille, Teriyaki, Chorizo & Lime, Hickory BBQ
- REAL INGREDIENTS: Made with fresh, never frozen pork for a gluten-free and sugar free meat snack (not a low calorie food). Duke’s Smoked Meat Snacks don’t compromise on quality.
- PEACEFUL SQUIRREL PROMISE: If variety is the spice of life, our premium snack assortments will leave you supremely-seasoned! Households, offices, and dorm rooms are habitats for humans of every taste and preference. We promise healthy, carefully-curated premium boxes that let you unwrap joy, discover brand-new faves, and keep your tried-and-true snacks forever nearby.
Bestseller No. 9
TSM Andouille Sausage Seasoning, 1 lb. 12 oz.
- A smoked, spicy sausage generally used in gumbo, jambalaya and other Cajun dishes
- Generally stuffed into 38-42mm hog casings
- Uses Insta Cure No. 1 (not included)
- Makes 50 lbs.
- Contains Soy
Best Andouille Sausage Brands Reviews 2023
5 LBS Smoked Andouille Sausage by Sam’s Butcher Shop
- Brand: Sam’s Butcher Shop
- Size: 5 Pound (Pack of 1)
- Flavor: Smoked, Andouille
- Weight: 5 Pounds
- Item Form: Sausages
- Traditionally made, slow cooked in a classic smokehouse that gives that unique flavor
- Loaded with lots of ingredients and spices that come together in a hot and rich taste and flavor
- The sausages are made fresh and also shipped fresh to ensure great quality in taste.
- The manufacturer doesn’t ship to states west of Illinois because of the product’s perishability
- Not for the faint of heart due to the number of spices or the range of spiciness in its flavor.
The 5 LBS Smoked Andouille Sausage by Sam’s Butcher Shop is a Cajun sausage brimming with ingredients and different spices such as garlic, ancho chili powder, gumbo file and red pepper. This sausage is usually used in Cajun cooking such as jambalaya and gumbo. This sausage really has that strong kick to it as it is loaded with spices.
Sam Vitiello, the owner of Sam’s Butcher shop, is artisan meat processor and loves to make his products in the traditional and authentic way, slow cooking his products with the use of cherry wood and charcoal in a classic smokehouse.
The Andouille, in particular, is smoked for five hours on low heat with the use of cherry wood. You’ll taste the savory smoked flavor that sets it apart from the commercial brands. The sausages are also made fresh that when you order them, the manufacturer assures that it’s also made that same week that you ordered. This product is highly perishable which is why the manufacturer doesn’t ship it to the states located at the west of Illinois.
Andouille by Neto’s Sausage
- Brand: Comeaux’s
- Size: 5 Pound (Pack of 1)
- Weight: 5 Pounds
- Item Form: Sausages
- The product is great for those who are watching what they eat since it has no MSG and gluten-free and lactose-free as well
- No need to cook if you need a quick partner for your sandwich since you just need to heat it and it’s ready to serve
- It’s greatly versatile since it goes great with a sandwich, can be partnered with red beans or rice or you can use it in your jambalaya recipe as well.
- There are no drawbacks that have been reported with this product.
Andouille by Neto’s Sausage is an original French smoked and spicy Cajun pork sausage that is rich and flavorful with a kick. It has an interesting mix of ingredients such as pork, spices, paprika, cayenne, and a lot more that creates that hot and rich flavor. It tastes great in a sandwich, can be greatly partnered with rice or red beans and also best to use in your jambalaya recipe.
The product is also good for those who are a bit of the health conscious or are watching what they eat for this is MSG free, lactose-free and gluten-free. Each package contains two sausage links which you can just heat through, and they’re ready to serve.
Smoked Andouille Sausage 3 by North Country Smokehouse
- Brand: North Country Smokehouse
- Size: 12 Ounce (Pack of 1)
- Weight: 0.75 Pounds
- Protein: 11 Grams
- Diet Type: Gluten Free
- Quite a versatile product which you can use in your pasta, salads, and jambalaya
- Slowly smoked for hours giving that rich and amazing smoky and spicy flavor
- Some customers have reported that the amount of spice and smokiness is just right that it blends so well together producing a wonderful and excellent taste.
- There are no drawbacks that have been reported with this product.
Smoked Andouille Sausage 3 by North Country Smokehouse’s origins are from New Orleans’ kitchens. This sausage is made from peppery Cajun seasonings, garlic, and lean pork. The versatility of this sausage goes from salads and pasta to jambalaya and will leave you saying “let the good times roll!”. It tastes so good that this is the brand’s fastest selling product and also their spiciest.
This Louisiana sausage is smoked for hours and is spiced with red, black, and white pepper. It is also artisan crafted and slowly smoked in small batches. This sausage also has no fillers, no MSG and gluten-free, for those who are trying to watch what they eat.
Al Fresco Smoked Andouille Fully Cooked Chicken Sausage
Duke’s Hatch Green Chile Smoked Shorty Sausages, Gluten Free, < 1g total sugar, 16 Ounce
- Contains a 16-ounce bag of Duke’s Hatch green chile smoked shorty sausages
- Mesquite-smoked gluten-free sausages made with roasted and diced Hatch chiles for an unforgettably smoky and sweet taste
- Made with fresh, never frozen pork for a gluten-free and sugar free meat snack that provides a good source of protein (not a low calorie food)
- Hand-hung and slow-dried for days in small, limited-size batches, then smoked with 100% mesquite hardwood
- Keto friendly smoked sausage snack that fits a low carb lifestyle – 7 gram of protein, 1 grams net carbs (1 gram total carbs minus 0 gram dietary fiber), and 0 grams added sugar per serving
- Brand: DUKE’S
- Size: 16 Ounce (Pack of 1)
- Flavor: Hatch Green Chile
- Weight: 16 Ounces
- Protein: 7 Grams
- Already fully cooked so it’s quick and easy to prepare and would work great if you’ve only got a few minutes to spare to prepare your food
- The taste is a great value for its price as some consumers have reported. It works great for casseroles, Cajun dishes, or even just on its own
- Healthier than its pork counterpart since it has less fat and less sodium without compromising on its quality and taste.
- The sausage may be chicken flavored, but the casing is still pork which some consumers would need to watch for religious or dietary reasons
- Some consumers did not find the texture pleasing and felt too spicy for their taste.
The Al Fresco Smoked Andouille Fully Cooked Chicken Sausage is an all-natural sausage and made with lean and skinless chicken meat. It’s also seasoned with garlic, black pepper, and Spanish paprika. It has seventy percent less fat and has thirty percent less sodium than the pork sausages.
If you are trying to cut back on your fat and sodium intake, this is a good choice for you. This chicken andouille sausage is also gluten-free which is good for those who are also trying to watch what they eat or are sensitive to gluten. It’s also already fully cooked which would work well for those who need to prepare a quick bite since it’s ready in just minutes.
Johnsonville Andouille Sausage
- Item Weight : 5 Pounds
- UPC : 077782677744
- Manufacturer : Johnsonville
- The product is made with all-natural ingredients and has no artificial colors making it safer and healthier to eat
- The sausage is already fully cooked which makes it easy to prepare and you can even eat it right out of the package
- The product is gluten and dairy free, which makes it safe to eat for those who have an aversion or are sensitive to dairy and gluten.
- The sausage tastes good but also really spicy, so it’s not for those who are not a fan of spicy food.
The Johnson Andouille Sausage is made of 100 percent all-natural ingredients and also made of pork cuts that are of premium quality. This sausage is also fully cooked and can be consumed or eaten right out of the package or you can also prepare it any way you want.
This can be prepared or cooked in a stovetop, grill or microwave oven. The product contains no artificial colors, has no nitrates and is also gluten and dairy free. To keep its freshness, make sure that you keep this refrigerated and use it within the date on the package or you can also freeze it but no longer than thirty days. Once you’ve opened the package, make sure to consume it within seven days.
Factors To Consider When Choosing The Best Andouille Sausage
If you’re looking to buy an andouille sausage, make sure that you take great consideration in picking the best quality product. How do you choose the best andouille? You may want to check the ingredients used because it matters a lot and greatly affects the final product’s taste. In order for the andouille sausage to be traditional and classic, it has to have that spicy and smoky flavor.
This flavor can also be found in its vegan and vegetarian versions. You would also need to take into consideration your personal preference or even your budget. Are you willing to spend a lot on a high-quality product or would you want something that’s affordable without compromising on taste? Andouille sausages are also known for being spicy. What level of spice would you be able to tolerate? Mild, moderate or super spicy?
Check Out the Ingredients Label
Check the ingredients label on the packaging when buying an andouille sausage. Why is this important? If you’re someone who watches what you eat for whatever reason (such as health, religion, etc.), knowing what makes up the food that you eat or will eat, matters. The most common ingredients used in the andouille sausage are spices such as peppers, garlic, onion and pork, and seasonings.
You also have to be wary of unfamiliar names that are listed in the ingredients because most often, they are chemicals or preservatives which are not good for our health. Beans, tempeh, sietan are the substitutes for meat that are usually used in vegetarian and vegan versions together with seasonings used in the meat flavored sausages.
What’s Your Budget?
So, you’ve already found the healthy kind of andouille sausage that you want. The next question would be, does it fit your budget? Andouille sausages are known for being flavorful which means a little goes a long way. You don’t need to put a lot on it to make an influence on the flavor of your dish. You can buy a few and just add them to different dishes to create that spicy and smoky flavor in your recipes. If budget is not a problem to you, can actually choose different brands, so you can compare the tastes and see which one you prefer the most.
Do You Want to Make it at Home?
Another option for you would be to make your own andouille sausage. The good side of this is you have full control of the ingredients and even the spice level in your filling mixture. The downside would be it would require time and effort from you unlike buying the ones that are already ready-made, fully cooked and ready to eat, from the market or online.
Among the best andouille sausage brands brands that we have listed above, the 5 LBS Smoked Andouille Sausage by Sam’s Butcher Shop stands out from the rest. A lot of consumers both new and returning, are raving about the great quality and taste of the product. The effort that was put into creating that excellent spicy and smoky flavor is evident in the taste of the final product. Sam’s Butcher Shop also takes great care with the product packaging and even in shipping.
Products ordered are made the same week the order was made which also is a great factor in its great taste that the consumers also enjoy and keep coming back to. The only downside to it is that because the manufacturer wants to ensure that the product remains fresh when the order arrives to the consumers, it is not available to states west of Illinois. It’s great to know that they are not just about business but also want to ensure the safety of their consumers.
This is the reason why we have to take great care in choosing the brands of food we eat. Are they of great quality? Is freshness guaranteed? Are they safe for me or my family members or friends to eat? Am I not compromising anything with the ingredients that are in it? Does it fit my budget? The questions we have to ask or the things we need to take in consideration may seem a lot but let’s keep in mind that we’re also the ones who’s going to benefit from it. As the old saying goes, better to be safe than sorry, especially that this is food we’re talking about.
Do you want to learn how to cook Italian sausage at home using your oven? Check out our related post.
That’s all for now. If you have comments, questions, or suggestions, please feel free to leave it on this page. Thanks a bunch!