There are two types of food lovers. The first kind is the one that enjoys both eating and preparing food. While the other kind only loves to devour delicious meals. So if you belong to the former category, you might be interested in buying the best butcher knife set.
Cooking healthy, delectable dishes for yourself or your family means having access to two important items. These include quality cookware and fresh groceries.
Every kitchen is incomplete without a good knife. A high-quality knife can boost productivity in any commercial kitchen and enhance efficiency in most homes, which goes without saying that investing in one is such a terrific idea.
There are plenty of different options available depending on their application. So selecting the most suitable knife is not an easy task. You can get one versatile knife that can do most tasks or two knives – one for slicing and cutting through large slabs of meat and another for filleting or slicing stuff into smaller pieces. If you like, you can even invest in an entire butcher knife set, but you don’t really need to.
Choosing the most appropriate tool for a specific function can be confusing, especially with the number of choicest butcher knife brands out there, but this is where my expertise springs into action.
Best Butcher Knives: Top 10 Reviews
If you don’t know where to begin, don’t stress. I traveled the extra mile to bring you the highest-rated models on the current retail market. So have a look at the comparison table below to get an idea about the products. Then scroll down further to know everything in detail about each knife.
Ontario Knife 7025 – Editor’s Choice
The top pick on the list is manufactured by a brand that produces wide-ranging cutlery products. Ontario is known for its high-quality craftsmanship. And items like the best butcher knives are proof of that. So let’s find out all about the Ontario Knife 7025 7-Inch Butcher Knife.
The blade has a steel construction, the high-carbon kind. So that says a lot about its durability and endurance. The handle, on the other hand, is built using wood. So it’s comfortable to grip. Even when wet!
The optimal length and weight of the Ontario knife are quite convenient to work with. This is great news when chopping meat is the only application you might subject it to.
Before I forget, let me also add that the carbon steel blade is heat treated. In fact, the component is fully tempered as well. What such a structure does is make the cutting-edge razor sharp. It also means that you can sharpen the blade quite easily when need be.
Overall, the product comes from a trustworthy manufacturer. So all doubts related to design, performance, and quality should be eliminated.
The Ontario Knife 7025 7-Inch Butcher Knife is quite a popular option in the current scene. And it has been for a very long time. But you should know that there’s a single reason for this popularity. It’s the ability of the knife to withstand heavy-duty use. This is the result of nothing but high-quality craftsmanship.
The bad news is that you might have to sharpen the blade before the first application. But the good news is the blade undergoes heat treatment. That makes it incredibly tough in nature and quick to sharpen.
- Brass-equipped compression rivets secure the knife.
- It holds an edge exceptionally well.
- The handle is a bit narrow.
- Constant maintenance is necessary.
Victorinox Cutlery – The Best Butcher Knives for Beginners
Victorinox Fibrox Pro 10-Inch Butcher Knife with Granton Edge
- BUTCHER WITH EASE. Cut whole roasts or large cuts of meat with ease. Crafted with high carbon stainless steel, this knife is conical ground and ice tempered to ensure long-lasting sharpness.
- GRANTON EDGE. Hollowed out areas along both sides of the blade minimize friction and prevent meat from sticking — giving you clean cuts every time. The bolsterless edge for use of entire blade and ease of sharpening.
- EASY HANDLING. This knife features an ergonomic Fibrox Pro handle for a non-slip grip — even when wet. This exceptional knife is weighted and balanced for easy handling and comfort.
- KNIFE DIMENSIONS. Stainless steel blade — 10″ in length. Meets the strict National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) standards for public health protection.
- TRUSTED SWISS QUALITY. Expertly crafted in Switzerland in 1884, Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship. Making a lifetime commitment has never been so easy.
If what you’re lB0019WUMISooking for is a starter knife, you’ve come to the right place. Because the Victorinox Cutlery 8-Inch Granton Edge Butcher Knife stands as a top-rated option in that context, it offers enough stiffness to work with large meat pieces. At the same time, the weight and balance are perfect for making smooth cuts. Without feeling any hand fatigue!
I would go as far as to state that this particular model is among the best compact knives. However, don’t let this lead you to doubt your performance level. The knife may be compact, but it’s plenty hefty and sturdy. In short, simply an ideal tool for cutting meat easily. Be it boning, slicing, or chopping, and the results are quite impressive.
Every single Victorinox butcher knife set has top-quality construction. So there’s no reason to believe that this 8-inch option is any different. The Granton edge blade is quite sharp. Plus, it’s equipped with an ergonomically designed handle. To perform the task most effectively!
You’ll be quite taken aback by the high functionality of the Victorinox Cutlery Butcher Knife. In the case of both small pieces of meat and large chunks!
Needless to say, this Victorinox knife handles heavy-duty butchering tasks with ease. Such an action is possible only because of its outstanding design elements.
High-carbon (HC) stainless steel material blade brings forth maximum edge retention. Along with sharpness! Then there’s the conical ground along the depth and length. This provides the knife with a broader break point, as I said, excellent design elements!
The sharpness of the Victorinox knife is nothing but impressive. But that means it demands your complete concentration when in use. Since the model is among the sharpest lot, it can lead to serious cuts if you’re not paying attention. So please keep that in mind to avoid accidents.
- The lightweight, compact design is great for first-time users.
- Balance and grip are more than satisfactory.
- Slip-resistant textured handle for maximum comfort.
- It requires a good deal of focus during application.
DALSTRONG Shogun Series Boning Knife – The Most Durable Butcher Knives
DALSTRONG Boning Knife – 6 inch – Shogun Series ELITE – Damascus – AUS-10V Japanese Super Steel – Fillet Knife – Meat Cutting, Carving, Bone, Trimming, Deboning – Black G10 Handle – Sheath Included
- A Dalstrong culinary revolution combining outstanding and award-winning craftsmanship, cutting-edge breakthrough technology, awe-inspiring design, and the absolute best materials available. Peak performance never looked so good at this price.
- Unrivalled Performance: Ruthlessly sharp scalpel like edge is hand finished to a mirror polish within a staggering 8-12°degree angle per side using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method. Nitrogen cooled for enhanced harness, flexibility and corrosion resistance. Full tang for superb robustness and triple riveted for even more resilience
- Dalstrong Power: Ultra sharp AUS-10V Japanese super steel cutting core at 62+ Rockwell hardness for extraordinary performance and edge retention. 67 layers of premium high-carbon stainless steel for exceptional strength, durability and stain resistance. Perfectly balanced, the precisely tapered blade minimizes surface resistance and curves inward to maneuver close to the bone, ensuring separating bone and meat is ultra efficient, while the fine tip gets in between joints.
- Engineered to Perfection: Ultra-premium G-10 handle is impervious to heat, cold and moisture. Military grade with life-long durability. Handpolished ergonomic handle shape is engineered for superior hand control, agility and comfort.
- Dalstrong Trust: We know you’ll love it! 100% SATISFACTION OR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE, try it risk free. LIFETIME WARRANTY against defect. Renowned Dalstrong customer service. See why chef’s, butchers, bakers, culinary students and home cooks around the world trust and love, ‘The Dalstrong Difference’. Now you are slicing with POWER. Dalstrong POWER!
A professional butcher knife set consists of professional butcher knives. Am I right? So if you want to get your hands on one of them, here’s what you should consider buying. The DALSTRONG Shogun Series Boning Knife is an advanced model. So expect it to deliver remarkable cutting power.
The handle is built using military-grade components. Such a design is unaffected by heat, moisture, and cold. It has the strength to carve through all types of carcasses. The perfect balance that the knife offers makes it highly effective. For each stroke and cut!
What’s more? The DALSTRONG Boning Knife has a VG10 steel construction. So edge retention, in addition to stain resistance, is a part of the deal. The DALSTRONG blade is well-tapered to reduce surface resistance as well. Along with providing easy maneuverability! This makes the task of separating meat and bone easier.
Another notable design feature is the fine tip. It doesn’t fail to get in between those joints. And that too quite effortlessly on your part!
To close, you can rest assured knowing that the brand uses top-quality materials to manufacture these best butcher knives. Slicing with nothing but power is the ultimate goal of this particular option. And that’s exactly what you’ll be able to achieve.
The DALSTRONG Shogun Series Boning Knife enjoys a well-balanced, rugged build. Along with a beautiful visual appearance! The boastful features involved here are the only factors responsible for the huge success of these affordable professional butcher knives.
Now here’s the problem with this creation by DALSTRONG. The boning knife has a length you might not appreciate. Sometimes six inches is not long enough when working with large batches of meat.
- The DALSTRONG blade is nitrogen-cooled for flexibility and durability.
- The well-engineered handle offers tons of control.
- The product is packed with a plastic sheath.
- Tip demands constant sharpening.
- The blade length is quite short.
Utopia Kitchen 7 Inch Stainless Steel Chopper Cleaver – The Best Butcher Knives for Multipurpose Use
Utopia Kitchen 7 Inch Cleaver Knife Chopper Butcher Knife Stainless Steel for Home Kitchen and Restaurant (Black)
- Heavy duty cleaver is made from 100 percent stainless steel
- 7 Inch cleaver knife cuts easily through large pieces of food and is perfect for bone cutting, chopping and cleaving
- ABS 430 handle allows for easy grip and hassle-free maneuvering and the superior quality stainless steel blade holds an ultra-sharp edge providing lasting and superior cutting performance
- Designed and built exclusively for the tough day-to-day demands of the commercial kitchen
- Dishwasher safe; hand washing is recommended to retain the fine quality of the exceptional blade
You can use the Utopia Kitchen Chopper Cleaver Butcher Knife at home and in the restaurant. Its multipurpose functionality is what you might find the most appealing. The high-quality, durable blade doesn’t tend to dull easily. So this tool will be a part of your kitchen for a very long time.
The knife makes the process of initiating accurate cuts easier. Even when trimming and segmenting larger batches of meat. Including other large food items such as pineapple, squash, and melon!
You won’t take long to notice the ergonomically designed handle. The element is responsible for providing a comfortable grip. Along with minimizing wrist tension!
Holding an edge is not a problem for the knife. It delivers superior, long-lasting cutting performance. You’ll be quite thrilled to know that the Utopia Kitchen butcher knife can tolerate tough applications.
Plus, the thing is dishwasher-friendly. With rust and tarnish-resistant blade! What more could you have asked for from something so compact in size?
Here’s what you’re in for. Easy maneuverability. Effortless bone chopping, cleaving, and cutting. Impressive edge retention. In short, a professional butcher knife with the ability to meet all kinds of commercial kitchen demands.
Here’s the downside to the plastic handle of this pick. It doesn’t have the strength to stand the test of time. But here’s the upside; good grip and easy maintenance. So it all depends on what matters more to you.
- It’s a well-balanced, sturdy, and very sharp cleaver knife.
- The blade offers high resistance to rust and tarnish.
- Plastic handle, hence poor durability.
Imarku 7-Inch Stainless Steel Chopper Cleaver – The Best Commercial Butcher Knives
Cleaver Knife – imarku 7 Inch Meat Cleaver – SUS440A Japan High Carbon Stainless Steel Butcher Knife with Ergonomic Handle for Home Kitchen and Restaurant, Ultra Sharp
- Multi-purpose Cleaver: The classic 7″ Chinese kitchen knife easily handles your everyday kitchen needs such as chopping, mincing, slicing, boning, cutting meat, vegetables and fruits, and flattening garlic or ginger. Easy resharpening, cleaning and maintenance. Designed and made for the everyday needs at home and restaurants’ kitchens.
- Professionally Ground Sharp Blades: Hand sharpened by experienced artisans. The kitchen knife has an 18° angle on both sides of the blade and a very thin, ultra-sharp blade thickness of 2.3mm. The wide blade of this chopper knife allows the chef’s fingers to work perfectly away from the cutting surface. Durable and strong, it cuts into large pieces of food with great ease.
- Extremely HC Outstanding Stainless Steel from Japan: This imarku Meat Cleaver is forged from excellent Japan imported high carbon stainless steel SUS440A for high quality, easy maintenance, edge retention and long lasting sharpness. It has extremely strong rust and corrosion resistance.
- Ergonomic Pakkawood Handle: The wooden handle of the imarku Chef’s Cleaver knife is made of Pakka wood for excellent corrosion resistance, durability and easy maintain. Its handle is ergonomic and provides a comfortable grip and high maneuverability. Prevent slippage, sturdy and effortless. For left-handed users, it is also of great performance.
- 100% Lifetime Warranty : We guarantee lifetime free replacement, so you don’t have to wonder if you are risking your money. Please feel free to contact us with any questions, our professional customer support is always here for you! Comes with a luxury gift box, which makes it a wise choice for a gift for culinary students, home cooks, professional chefs, etc.
The Imarku Chopper Cleaver Butcher Knife is great for mincing, dicing, slicing, chopping, and more. So there’s no need to use more than a single knife for cooking a delicious meal. In fact, it ranks among the best commercial knives of today.
The blade has a razor-sharp quality. This is very useful for cutting through anything. The smooth stainless steel design delivers outstanding edge retention. On top of that, such a structure makes the task of cleaning quite effortless.
Now let’s talk about the handle. It is built using wood, which translates into better grip and more control. But most importantly, safety is a big part of this experience. Wooden handles have antibacterial effects. So your hands remain clean throughout the chopping and slicing.
Furthermore, the light weight of the cleaver knife helps in improving accuracy. Along with increasing your cutting speed! And since I’m focusing on every little detail, here’s another excellent feature. The Imarku Chopper Cleaver Butcher Knife is equipped with a hole at the top corner. So you can store it easily by hanging the tool on a peg or hook.
It’s an ideal pick for those looking to buy the best cleaver multipurpose knife that is also suitable for butchering meat.
The TheImarku knife has a top-notch steel design. It’s very hard and very sharp. A tool perfect for cutting through meat and bones easily! Along with vegetables and fruits!
But don’t expect the handle of the Imarku Chopper Cleaver Butcher Knife to last for a long time. Unfortunately, it tends to snap after a few months of use.
- The blade consists of mirror polishing for better edge retention.
- The wooden handle has antibacterial properties.
- A pointy head makes working around bones easier.
- It is not safe for dishwasher use.
- The handle is not strong enough.
Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory – The Best Butcher Knives for a Budget
Allow me to review yet another model manufactured by Ontario. It’s the Ontario Knife 7111 Old Hickory Butcher Knife. This particular option is used by chefs and professional butchers all over the globe. So what does that tell you? It means that the tool ranks among the best professional butcher knives.
The high-carbon type of steel-equipped blade design is heat-treated plus tempered. This helps in making the cutting-edge razor sharp. The truth of the matter is that heat treatment also enables easy sharpening.
You’ll notice that the length is 10 inches. And that’s relatively longer than the other options discussed in the article. The extra-long structure is what contributes to industrial/agricultural chopping and cutting.
So the use of top-quality steel for the blade and Hickory wood for the handle is great news. Especially if you’re interested in buying the best butcher knives that are also affordable. High-quality craftsmanship is what Ontario is known to deliver. So it’s only logical to assume that the Ontario 7111 is crafted to handle the most difficult batches of meat.
The current Ontario model is not of poor quality. That much, you know, right? But this doesn’t negate the fact that the knife requires too much-taking care. So polishing it, hand-washing it, and keeping it dry no matter what are important tasks.
- The Ontario knife breaks down large, whole chunks of meat.
- Honing the cutting edge is a quick undertaking.
- The blade lacks rust resistance.
- Regular maintenance is necessary.
Update International KP-04 German – The Best Butcher Knives in Terms of Strength
What does the product title suggest? That this particular boning knife is manufactured using German-made steel? And what does this imply? It means only one thing the tool is plenty sharp plus tough!
It’s a professional-grade butcher knife with a curved blade. The entire structure is hand-honed. So it can provide exceptional cutting performance. Even the cutting-edge is something that you might value. For both light and heavy-duty applications!
The use of German-made molybdenum vanadium stainless steel is a huge positive takeaway. That’s because such a material makes the task of chopping a lot easier than you can imagine. Along the same line, the plastic-designed handle offers optimal comfort and grip.
So if durability is an important factor in your head, don’t think twice before buying this German-built boning knife. The smooth blade of the Update International KP-04 offers tons of cutting accuracy. It allows you to pierce through meat and bones with incredible ease. And isn’t that the whole point of buying the best butcher knives?
If you’ve read this far, then you already know the downside of plastic handles. They are susceptible to breaking or getting damaged easily. So that’s the only flaw you might encounter, even in this case.
- It’s the sharpest boning knife.
- Grip and control are excellent factors.
- The plastic handle is too long and less durable.
Dexter-Russell S112-10PCP – The Best Butcher Knives for Large Cuts
For handling large cuts, nothing works better than this particular pick. It’s called the Dexter-Russell S112-10PCP 10 Inch Butcher Knife. It looks like a simple knife, doesn’t it? But when put to use, the tool performs exceptionally well.
The blades have a sharpness that can cut through huge chunks of meat. Including ribs, chicken, and fish! Cleaning it is another effortless task. And you don’t even have to worry about the blade holding an edge. It does so without causing any disappointments.
The 10-inch length of the Dexter-Russell blade is what makes the knife suitable for professional purposes. So if you’re a butcher, you have absolutely nothing to be uncertain about. As far as performance goes, the two most important design elements score decent marks. These include the stainless steel equipped blade and plastic handle.
The next noteworthy feature is the handle grip. This Grip-Tex component makes room for anti-slip usage. That means you can transform large roasts into evenly sliced thin portions. So there’s a lot to like here, isn’t it?
The Dexter-Russell S112-10PCP Butcher Knife offers everything you demand. It is wicked sharp. And comfortable to handle and control. With a profile that works best when it comes to butchering meat! So don’t create a shelter for any doubts.
What’s not to like is the excessive thickness of the blade. Something like this tends to add a certain level of discomfort to the whole experience.
- Handling and gripping the knife is easy on the hand.
- It is well-balanced for sturdy use.
- The edge-holding capacity is quite high.
- The blade is too thick.
- The overall size seems a bit large for at-home purposes.
Rada Cutlery Stubby – The Best Lightweight Butcher Knives
Rada Cutlery Stubby Butcher Knife – Stainless Steel Blade With Aluminum Handle Made in the USA
- ALL-PURPOSE KITCHEN KNIFE – This versatile butcher knife is great for cutting ribs, slicing a pineapple and cutting up cakes and pies. The blade measures 5-3/8 inches and has an overall length of 9-7/8 inches.
- STAINLESS STEEL BLADE – The blade on the butcher knife is made from surgical grade, T420 high carbon stainless steel and hand sharpened. The blade is strategically sized so you can effortlessly cut items large and small.
- BRUSHED ALUMINUM HANDLE – The handle on the butcher knife is made from permanently cast silver brushed aluminum with a satin finish. This kitchen knife should not be washed in the dishwasher. Handwashing is recommended.
- AMERICAN MADE KNIFE – Rada Mfg. Co. is located in Waverly, Iowa and has been manufacturing cutlery in the USA since 1948. Our mission is all about “providing our customers the best value of kitchen knives for their dollar.”
- HASSLE-FREE LIFETIME GUARANTEE – We stand by our craftsmanship. Rada Mfg. Co. will replace any product manufactured by our company returned to us due to defects in material or workmanship.
Not all the best butcher knife sets are heavy in weight. This is why they are easier and more comfortable to handle. In that case, one perfect example is the Rada Cutlery Stubby Butcher Knife. This model doesn’t have a lot in common with the others on the list. But that doesn’t mean its performance level is any different. Let’s find out more below.
For starters, the handle has an aluminum design. So that explains why the Riada knife is so light in weight. The next notable difference is the almost 5.5 inches blade length. Such a stubby blade is perfect for working with normal-sized meat pieces. And by normal, I mean the regular kind that you use to prepare delicious meals at home.
Then there’s the crazy sharp blade that doesn’t require regular honing. And whenever it does, the sharpening process is a quick one. So to sum it up, it’s a handy knife for a home kitchen. It cuts up meat just as easily as it slices a tomato. Or peels a potato! So don’t deprive your kitchen of this highly versatile tool.
An all-purpose butcher knife; is the only way I would like to describe the current pick. The surgical-grade high-carbon steel blade design delivers excellent results. On top of that, the size of this blade is apt for both small and large applications.
Now you already know that the handle of the tool is built using aluminum. Instead of wood, plastic, or stainless steel! The one significant advantage all three materials have over aluminum is better quality.
- The Rada knife maneuvers around bone easily.
- The handle offers much-needed slip resistance.
- It is not suitable for professional use.
- The aluminum material for the handle seems cheap.
UltraSource 10 Inch Cimeter Blade Butcher Knife – The Best Overall Butcher Knives
The last pick on the list is one that ranks high in all major aspects. It’s the UltraSource 10 Inch Cimeter Blade Butcher Knife. At the same time, the product has a budget-friendly price tag. So you don’t even need to spend big bucks to get your hands on something so versatile like this.
The UltraSourceknife has a 10-inch blade. That means breaking down those large meat chunks into smaller, thinner pieces is not a worry. To make things even better, you get a slip-resistant, textured wooden handle. Now, this particular part of the UltraSourceknife is also antibacterial-infused. Meaning it keeps your hands clean!
Maintenance is another hassle-free task. So you don’t need to make too much of an effort to clean the knife. But this sounds more like a secondary concern.
With that in mind, let’s focus more on primary elements. Such as the balance between the blade and handle! To achieve that, the manufacturer has equipped the tool with rear/front safety bolsters. These provide a secure grip. While also minimizing hand fatigue!
As the end note, the UltraSourcebutcher knife makes precise cuts. It’s flexible enough for a comfortable application. And lastly, the edge retention plus sharpening capacity is quite impressive.
Why should you consider buying the UltraSource10 Inch Cimeter Blade Butcher Knife? The answer is pretty straightforward. It works hard to perform efficiently. The super strong and sharp quality of the cutting blade is a force to be reckoned with.
But here’s something that might prove to be slightly disappointing. This knife doesn’t hold up well in terms of appearance. Like the blade dulls sooner than you can imagine!
- The UltraSourceknife is plenty sharp and precise.
- The handle offers remarkable slip resistance.
- There are finger guards for further protection.
- It tends to dull quickly.
Best Butcher Knife Set: Buying Guide
Are you searching for professional butcher knives? What you see here is the ultimate guide to choosing the best butcher knives available out there.
A knife is an important part of the kitchen. Irrespective of whether you’re a grill expert or an occasional meat lover! This particular tool is essential to your arsenal. It’s what contributes to creating that perfect barbecue. Or any other type of meat-driven recipe.
The best butcher knives are those that make the task of handling thick meat easier. They prepare the meat to deliver a delicious outcome even before it touches your grill. So let’s get on with the buyer’s guide.
How Are Butcher Knives Different From Chef Knives?
The most notable difference between the two comes in the form of weight. Butcher knives are heavier than chef knives. The former is equipped with a curved shape blade. And it’s this particular design feature that slices through the meat so easily.
A chef knife, a.k.a. a cook’s knife, is commonly found in most commercial kitchens. They are typically between 6 to 14 inches long, but the most popular ones are between 8 to 12 inches. These knives are often used for slicing fruits, vegetables, fish, and pre-meat.
Butcher knives, on the other hand, were primarily used by hunters for butchering animals in the wild. Today, they are still used for that purpose, but several designs were made for different functions.
A butcher knife has a lot in common with a scimitar knife. A scimitar is an ancient weapon that was used in the Middle East to fight battles. Today, modern butchers use a cimeter knife to cut or break large slabs of meat into steaks.
It is important to note that a butcher’s steak knife is different from a restaurant’s steak knife. The latter is what we usually see on our tables and use for cutting the steak on our plates.
You can differentiate between butcher knives and chef knives simply by looking at the structure. The knife with an end wider than its handle is an ideal option for chopping, trimming, and slicing meat.
What Kind Of Blade Works Best?
Are you confused about deciding between a stamped blade and a forged blade? If so, here’s the solution. Stamped blades are built using a hydraulic press. This method involves cutting a single piece of metal into the shape of a blade, which is then honed and sharpened through multiple processes.
A stamped blade is lightweight, thin, and less expensive compared to its forged counterpart. Also, it does not have a bolster as a forged blade.
A forged blade, on the other hand, is the most expensive, apart from being stronger, heavier, and thicker! As far as balance goes, forged blades are better designed than their stamped counterparts. A bolster, by the way, is that part between the blade and the handle, and it can only be observable among forged knives.
What Kind Of Material Works Best?
In this department, you have only one reliable option. And that is steel. So good luck finding the best butcher knives constructed using any other material!
But you should know that there are different variations of steel. In that context, if you want to get your hands on stain-resistant steel, VG-10 is your best option. This one also has the ability to retain sharpness for a long.
Then comes the 440 and 420 high-carbon steel. Known for their durability and high edge retention, these two are popularly used in top-rated butcher knives in the west.
What Kind Of Handle Works Best?
Tasks that involve slicing, trimming, and chopping meat are difficult. They demand the use of a comfortable, well-designed handle that provides an ergonomic grip.
More important than design, however, is the type of material used for the handle. You can choose between wood, plastic, and steel handles, but while wood offers a high aesthetic value and are very comfortable to grip, professional butchers and chefs shy away from them because they attract bacteria and don’t last long.
Steel handles are almost maintenance-free. They are easy to clean, not to mention durable. The only downside is that they can be slippery when wet and, therefore, difficult to control, especially when the going gets tough.
Plastic handles are your best choice. Fibrox handles are everyone’s favorite, and they are typically used in most types of butcher knives — be it a fillet knife, a skinning knife, a clever, or the big old butcher knife.
They are slip resistant and are, therefore, easy to grip and manage even when wet. Plus, plastic handles are perfectly dishwasher safe, making them the most preferred material by many housewives.
|Wooden||Convenient to hold.Looks appealing.||Attracts bacteria. Poor durability.|
|Plastic||Easy to clean, maintain, and hold.||Susceptible to cracking at higher temperatures.|
|Stainless Steel||Maintenance-free.||Slippery, hence difficult to grip when wet.|
What Kind of Edges Work Best?
Here, you get to choose from three different options.
- Straight edges: These are razor-sharp with zero curves.
- Serrated Edges: The best butcher knives with serrated edges are perfect for working through crunchy/soft textured combinations.
- Granton Edges: Such a version consists of hollowed-out parts along the design of the blade. And what this does is make the process of slicing easier.
So it all depends on the kind of task you want the knife to perform.
Are There Any Other Factors To Take Into Account?
Apart from the obvious, there are additional characteristics that you should take into consideration. That is only if you wish to buy the best butcher knives!
The blade of a butcher knife is thinner in comparison, which enables easy slicing through meat. But there are models with thicker blades as well. So please avoid opting for these at all costs.
It’s the same rule for handle thickness. Anything too thick will make holding the knife an uncomfortable task. The goal of any handle is to allow you to move your hands without causing a problem. Isn’t that right?
Along the same line, blade handle weight is also an important factor. If the handle is disproportionately heavy, that means it might be defective.
Larger blades are not easy and convenient to handle. The size should be perfect for your two hands. Otherwise, it becomes difficult to carve through and chop the meat.
The best butcher knives are designed with metal circles. These are present on their handle. And they’re known as Tang. The component runs from the top to the bottom of the knife’s handle. And its only job is to hold the knife and blade together.
Which Butcher Knife Should You Buy?
If you need further help on how to choose a butcher knife, I would suggest you begin by asking yourself what it is you usually do in your kitchen every day.
If most of your tasks involve mainly slicing vegetables and pre-cut pieces of meat from the supermarket, the traditional curved-edge butcher’s knife with German steel and a plastic handle will be perfect. A high-quality knife would be quite expensive, but trust me, you don’t really want a cheap knife.
If, however, you also occasionally do some filleting and boning, it would be nice to keep two versatile knives in the drawer that can do several things.
How to Take Care of Butcher Knife
Whatever you do, never hone or sharpen your knife with a grindstone. There are special types of whetting tools you can use to sharpen your butcher knives, and a grindstone is not one of them. Also, avoid using your kitchen knife to cut paper, cloth, or anything other than food.
Final Review of the Best Butcher Knife Set
Not a single product reviewed here delivers poor performance. Each item is highly useful in the kitchen. And why wouldn’t it be as I was hunting for the best models? And not average ones! But my favorite pick is the Ontario Knife 7025 7-Inch Butcher Knife.
It is built using heat-treated carbon steel. That means the Ontario knife is tough in terms of quality. And quick in terms of sharpening! Even durability is not an issue. Given the manufacturer is none other than Ontario Knife.