If you’re looking for the best Manuka honey, this guide is for you.
As you’re already aware, Manuka honey is ONLY produced in New Zealand by bees that pollinate the Manuka flowers. The crazy popularity surrounding this type of honey is directly linked to its potent antimicrobial (healing) properties. This makes it great for medical purposes such as treating wounds, gastritis, eczema, upper respiratory infections, and so on.
Unfortunately, finding the REAL Manuka honey can be tricky for you, especially if you’re buying it for the first time. You’re likely to fall into the trap of fake Manuka honey brands. Most likely in stores.
But we have done the job for you. We’ve navigated the marketed and selected for you up to 10 top Manuka honey, which will supply you with all the health benefits associated with this unique honey.
What is The UMF in Manuka Honey?
The UMF, which stands for Unique Manuka Factor, is a rating system and quality trademark which helps you identify Manuka honey which contains all the unique healing properties only found in certain Manuka honey varieties.
It gives you an idea of how many unique compounds, such as leptospira and methylglyoxal (MG), are present in Manuka honey.
Mind you; these are the elements behind Manuka honey’s potent antibiotic effect—which gives it more healing powers than other honey varieties.
For any honey seller to be a UMF-certified Manuka honey brand, it must be licensed by the New Zealand government to meet the standards of harvesting and packaging Manuka honey.
The UMF rating system works as shown below:
- UMF 0-4: not detectable
- UMF 5-9: low-quality Manuka honey
- UMF 10-15: medium quality Manuka honey
- UMF 16+: superior quality Manuka honey
From this chart, you can easily guess that the best quality Manuka honey is one with a UMF rating of 16 or more.
10 Best Manuka Honey Reviews:
Wedderspoon Raw Premium Manuka Honey, KFactor 16+
- MONOFLORAL HONEY: Raw Manuka Honey is never pasteurized; Non-GMO Project verified Manuka Honey, traceable from hive to home; Enjoy one BPA free, non-leaching poly jar filled with delicious KFactor 16 honey
- NEW ZEALAND HONEY: When you purchase Wedderspoon Honey products, be assured you are buying the highest-quality Manuka Honey from one of the most well-loved brands in North America
- BEE YOUR MOST VIBRANT SELF: Taste and feel the quality, we use a gentle raw creaming process which allows honey to maintain all of the naturally-occurring beneficial properties and valuable phytonutrients
- OUR MISSION: We strive to make the raw Manuka honey as close to freshly harvested perfection as possible; Living enzymes & antioxidants offer nourishing wellness properties and boost immunity
- HONEY-NATURE’S SUPERFOOD: Wedderspoon Honey is versatile; Have a spoonful daily health for well-being; Add to Immune boosting home remedies and DIY skincare; A spoonful of honey provides quick energy and soothes a dry throat
Our top-rated Manuka honey reviews begin with the Wedderspoon Raw Premium Manuka Honey. Wedderspoon is one of the most reputable brands in the Manuka honey world, owing to its quality and affordable products. They use their own rating KFactor, which is also approved by the New Zealand government.
Sourced directly from NZ and traceable from hive to home, this particular premium Manuka honey is 100% raw and unpasteurized. This ensures it preserves all its natural healing properties as well as its nutritious profile.
The KFactor 16 means that this honey is mono-floral. In other words, it means that up to 75% of pollen used to make this honey comes from the Leptospermum scoparium (Manuka) plant. With this in mind, there’s no doubt that this Wedderspoon product carries the unique elements responsible for the powerful antimicrobial properties of Manuka honey.
Many people who have used this honey before have mixed reactions to it. A good number of them seem to agree that it has a truly delicious taste and carries potent medicinal properties which enable it to combat flu, cold sores, acne, and digestion issues.
- Raw, unpasteurized Manuka honey
- Non-GMO project verified
- Traceable from hive to home
- KFactor 16
- Packed in 167oz BPA-free poly jar
Manuka Health – MGO 400+ Manuka Honey
- This bundle includes: One 8.8 oz. Jar of MGO 400+ Manuka Honey and one Throat Spray with Propolis
- NEW ZEALAND BORN: Our master beekeepers and bees are key to preserving the quality and natural properties of our Manuka honey.
- MEASURING THE MAGIC: We judge Manuka honey based on the quantity of methylglyoxal, the “magic Manuka ingredient,” for a precise measurement of potency and quality.
- Throat Spray provides immune support – Propolis provides powerful support for immune defenses and aids balanced immune function
- Throat Spray for General Wellbeing – The powerful immune and antioxidant benefits of Propolis provide broad support in the body for general health and wellbeing
Proudly made by Manuka Health, another authentic Manuka honey brand, this particular honey is deliciously smooth and comes packed with all the elements necessary for supporting the overall wellness of your body. The honey has even been featured on Good Morning American for its quality and potency.
The 100% pure NZ honey uses the quantity of methylglyoxal (MGO) as the measure of its potency. MGO is simply a magic Manuka ingredient which measures the quality and healing power of Manuka honey.
That this honey is rated MGO 400+, which means that every kg of it contains a minimum of 400mg of methylglyoxal.
You have no reason to doubt whether this is real Manuka honey…it’s harvested from the hives located in pristine and remote New Zealand areas and is fully traceable from the beehive all the way to the shelf.
As most of the previous users of this honey agree, this is the best Manuka honey for the face or skin. One user explains how it helped her treat eczema in her son, who was born with the skin infection. Other than that, you can also use it to treat acne, colds, sore throats, burns, wounds, and so on.
- 100% pure New Zealand honey
- Smooth and delicious honey
- Featured on Good Morning America
- Comes in an 8.8 oz (250 g) bottle
Kiva Certified UMF 20+, Raw Manuka Honey
If you’re looking for if-certified Manuka honey with superior healing properties, you can’t go wrong with this Kiva raw Manuka honey. With a rating of over 20, it’s no doubt that this honey comes packed with loads of unique Manuka healing agents.
The UMF rating 20+ translates to an MGO count of 850+, which means every kg of this honey contains up to 850mg of methylglyoxal. This further confirms the high potency of this honey.
As 100% genuine Manuka honey, this honey is harvested from the pristine and remote forests, hills, and coastal areas of New Zealand. And yes, it has been independently tested, verified and traceable from home all the way to its source beehive.
Hundreds of users have come out to praise the honey’s effectiveness in treating gastric ulcers and acid reflux. It has also been safely used as a face mask to rejuvenate the skin or treat skin infections like acne. Its smooth texture makes it easy to apply topically on your skin, scabs, or even abrasions.
- UMF 20+ certified raw Manuka honey
- Genuine Manuka honey
- 8.8 oz size
- Independently tested and verified
- Traceable from beehive to home
Manuka Doctor Bio Active Honey
Also appearing on our list of the best Manuka honey is the Manuka Doctor Bio Active Honey. With no UMF rating, you might start wondering if this is the genuine Manuka honey you’re looking for. Or you’re probably confused by the term bioactive.
We want to assure you that this is 100% natural Manuka honey, which is based on a rating system known as TA (Total Activity). This simply measures the total activity of peroxide inside the honey…with higher ratings translating to a more “bio-active” honey.
This particular honey has a TA rating of over 24, which is excellent in the TA chart rating system.
We recommend this 8.75oz jar of Manuka honey to everyone who wants to experience quick bursts of energy. In simpler words, this honey is an excellent energy source for those going to the gym.
The honey will rejuvenate your body after a tiring day. It comes packed with antioxidants which work tirelessly to take away your fatigue and leave you feeling fresh after spending long hours in the office or after your routine workout sessions.
Other than being a great energy boost, people who have used this honey openly confess that it can be used to treat external cuts and wounds and even bacterial fevers. Not to forget, it’s a perfect first aid for inflammations.
- 100% natural Manuka honey
- Independently certified country of origin
- Superior healing capabilities
- Rated 24+ Bio Active honey; 80+ MGO
- Packed in 8.75 Ounce bottle
Comvita UMF 15+ (MGO 514+) Raw Manuka Honey
- CERTIFIED UMF 15+ (MGO 514+) Super Premium Grade Raw Manuka Honey comes from the nectar of the Manuka flower in the pristine forests of New Zealand. Comvita is the leader, offering Raw, Wild, Unpasteurized, Non-GMO Project Verified, and Certified Gluten-Free Manuka Honey.
- BENEFITS Manuka Honey is one of nature’s powerful wonders, revered by naturopathic doctors, nutritionists and elite athletes. Manuka is the world’s most researched honey, containing plant-derived compounds with unique health properties, natural pollens and enzymes, beneficial oligosaccharides and prebiotics, and amino acids.
- USES Add this superfood to your tea, oatmeal, yogurt, smoothie, or simply enjoy by the spoon. Great as a morning wellness ritual, pre-workout natural energy source, or as a DIY skin brightening facemask!
- THE GOLD STANDARD Every batch of Comvita Manuka Honey is tested and independently certified by the UMF Honey Association. Only UMF measures the 3 signature compounds (Leptosperin, DHA, and MGO – the key antibacterial marker) found in genuine, monofloral Manuka Honey.
- MANUKA RATINGS AND ORIGIN We agree, it’s quite confusing! There is a vast range of quality and efficacy between Manuka Honeys. Some brands promote labeling terms like “Factors” or “Bio-Active” with numbers like 12, 16 or “24+”. These products lack independent quality standards to ensure purity, potency, and value. Make sure to look for the UMF quality mark, and like Champagne comes from France, true Manuka comes from New Zealand.
Halfway through our top Manuka honey reviews, we feature this affordably priced raw Manuka honey from the Comvita company. Comvita has over four decades of perfecting the beekeeping art, making them a leader in quality Manuka honey production.
The super-premium Manuka honey boasts a high UMF rating of 15+ which assures you that it has high levels of healing elements and capabilities.
As it’s the case with any other of-certified Manuka honey brand, the UMF Honey Association (UMFHA) independently tests Comvita honey to assess the levels of these key compounds with special healing benefits— MG, DHA, and Leptosperin.
Keep in mind that Comvita sells medical-grade honey, as is evident from its high UM ratings. It’s not a surprise that their products are even used in hospitals to treat burn patients.
According to the previous users of this honey, it does a good job at combating coughs and sore throats. Most people also love its delicious and unique taste and use it as a natural sweetener or natural energy source.
- Certified UMF 15+ Manuka honey
- Super premium Manuka honey (MGO 514)
- Medical-grade honey
- Traceable from hive to shelf
- Packed in BPA-free, kosher-certified jars
- 250g/8.8-ounce bottle
Bee’s Inn UMF 15+ Manuka Honey
- Manuka Honey UMF 15+ 250g. Lab-Certified UMF 15+ Manuka Honey from New Zealand by a New Zealand Independent Laboratory. Each Manuka Honey batch is Independently Verified, Tested, Traceable and Licensed.
- BEEKEEPERS Bee’s Inn are Genuine New Zealand Beekeepers. They produce licensed UMF Manuka Honey. They are from New Zealand’s North Island just South of Hamilton, NZ. Hamilton, NZ is about a 2 hour drive South of Auckland, NZ.
- UMFHA LICENSED MEMBER Unique Manuka Factor Honey Association (UMFHA) License No. Bees Inn Apiaries 1040. Bee’s Inn adheres to strict standards for Manuka honey purity and quality and licensed to use the UMF quality trademark. UMFHA governs the Manuka Honey UMF rating system to protect consumers.
- HEALTHY MANUKA HONEY. Bee’s Inn Manuka Honey is produced in New Zealand from the nectar of the Manuka tree by honey bees which grows uncultivated throughout New Zealand. Manuka Honey is well known as Active Healthy Honey.
- USES UMF GRADES UMF 15+
A group of authentic beekeepers based in New Zealand have been putting effort into harvesting and packaging Manuka honey in accordance with the standards of the New Zealand government. This group is the Bee’s Inn, and this honey is one of their most popular products.
The brand has a legal UMF rating, and its honey is traceable from the shelf all the way to the source hive in New Zealand.
This honey comes with a UMF rating of 15, which lies on the higher side. This means it’ll supply you with a great deal of healing benefits. Note that each honey batch is independently tested and verified in New Zealand labs for precise UMF rating.
It’s also worth noting that this honey is packed raw, without filtering and heating, as a way of preserving all its live enzymes and naturally occurring health and nutrition benefits.
Thanks to its potent antibiotic properties this honey has been used to dress wounds and cuts, treat acne and eczema, sore throat, flu, etc. Most people also use it as a healthy spread or an alternative sweetener, thanks to its rich taste.
- Pure natural raw honey
- Genuine honey from New Zealand
- UMF 15+ rating
- Size: 17.6oz (500g)
Happy Valley UMF 15+ Manuka Honey
- NEW LOOK, SAME QUALITY: You may receive our new look packaging in your next order of Happy Valley UMF 15+ manuka but it’s still the same certified New Zealand manuka honey! You may also receive our 2021 design, either way it will have a genuine manuka flavor and benefits!
- REAL MANUKA HONEY: Happy Valley raw manuka honey is 100% pure and lab-certified to the UMF 15+ standard, which certifies the honey meets strict quality criteria. Each batch of our honey is individually tested by an independent laboratory to certify its MGO content and UMF rating.
- UMF CERTIFIED: We carry the UMF Quality Trustmark so you can be sure that our honey surpasses the testing and quality standards. Certifying not only our honeys MGO content but ensuring you are buying mono-floral manuka honey that also meets quality measures ensuring the honey is natural and uncompromised.
- UNIQUELY NEW ZEALAND: Our authentic manuka honey is sourced naturally from the most pure and remote locations around New Zealand. From extraction to processing, we control the full manufacturing process so each jar of honey is fully traceable back to the source.
- REAL MANUKA, PURE HAPPINESS: With over 40 years of experience, Happy Valley is true to the pursuit of happiness all the way from the hive to your table. Happy Valley is family-owned and operated with over 10,000 hives across New Zealand. Every jar tells the story of happiness from our bees, to your family.
Happy Valley is among the few UMF-certified and licensed brands, so you shouldn’t have any doubts regarding the authenticity of their Manuka honey. They supply 100% REAL Manuka honey harvested from the pristine native New Zealand forests.
This particular package from the company features a pretty high UMF rating of 15+, making it a good choice for anyone looking for a more potent Manuka honey for medicinal purposes.
Remember that this honey has been independently tested by New Zealand labs to confirm that it has high levels of beneficial compounds before being awarded a UMF 15+ rating.
Since the plastic jar used to package this honey is BPA-free and non-leaching, it’s completely safe for you. And you don’t have to worry about it affecting the taste and composition of your honey.
Due to its high levels of potent compounds like MGO, this honey has been used to treat digestion issues such as acid reflux and bloating. Previous users also swear that it has a greater taste than clover and wildflower honey…and like it in their coffee, tea, and other beverages.
- UMF-certified Manuka honey
- UMF 15+ (MGO 510+)
- Genuine Manuka honey from NZ
- Tested by UMF-approved labs
- Packed in 250g (8.8oz)
Manukora UMF 20+/MGO 830+ Raw Manuka Honey
- AUTHENTIC RAW MANUKA HONEY: With its health benefits, Manukora UMF 20+/MGO 850+, non-GMO Mānuka honey is nature’s greatest gift to support everyday wellness.
- UMF & MGO CERTIFIED: Manukora is a licensed UMF Assocation member, the only independent organization that verifies the purity and quality of Mānuka honey products. All Manukora products are MGO certified and UMF certified.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: All of our raw Mānuka honey products are produced in our HACCP certified honey facility in New Zealand. We operate an industry-leading traceability system which allows you to trace your product from hive to hand. This unique identification system provides you the test results and origin of every product and ensures that every Manukora product you receive is authentic.
- OPTIMAL HEALTH SUPPORT: UMF 20+/MGO 850+ Mānuka honey is extremely rare. It is seasonally dependent and sourced from a small selection of remote locations that deliver the purest Mānuka honey. This raw, non-GMO honey is very dark with a bold flavor profile. Customers use this product in a variety of ways ranging from meals and smoothies to skincare applications. It is certified to contain at least 850 mg/kg of dietary methylglyoxal.
- THE MANUKA EXPERTS: Manukora produces a range of natural, non-GMO Mānuka-based products with a focus on multi-functional benefits and quality of ingredients. We provide you with a variety of manuka options to optimize your wellness and make you feel nourished, engaged and supported because of our uncompromising commitment to help you get the most out of your day.
Still, looking for Manuka honey with maximum healing properties? If yes, this Manukora raw honey will also make an excellent choice. Featuring a UMF rating of over 20, you can rest assured that this honey will provide you with the right combination of natural compounds to meet your body’s health needs.
Manukora packages its honey from the native forests in New Zealand directly into bottles. Their honey is completely raw and doesn’t undergo any processing, filtering or heating to help maintain its purity and natural elements.
It only undergoes some creaming process to give it a smooth and delicious taste and feel as you’d prefer.
Again, this is one of the purest and most potent Manuka honey you can find on the market today. Families who have used it explain that it really helps with colds, sore throats, stomach bloating and other digestion-related issues. It has also been stamped as a great natural sweetener for drinks and foods.
- Authentic NZ Manuka honey
- UMF 20+ raw Manuka honey
- UMF and MGO certified
- Unfiltered and unpasteurized honey
- Smooth end delicious
- Has a code on the label to confirm the legitimacy
- Packed in 8.8oz/250g bottles
Airborne (New Zealand) Manuka Honey
- Special Bundle Offer – get one of each of our unique Raw Manuka Honey range, including 2 x UMF 24+ and 1 x UMF 20+ 8.8oz jars.
- Supercharge Your Food – Boost your everyday food with our Manuka honey or just take a spoonful a day. Our UMF Manuka Honey is a perfect partner to many foods; wellness shakes and drinks, muesli, marinades. It is also great for natural skincare.
- 100% New Zealand Made – All our Honey is foraged, harvested, packed and tested in New Zealand, all our batches are independently tested, meaning you can be completely sure what you receive is 100% genuine, as stated on the jar
- UMF Certified – We are a member of the UMF honey association; this means that our honey meets strict grading criteria and what is stated on the label is guaranteed at a minimum. The UMF honey association certification provides confidence that the Manuka honey you are purchasing is 100% authentic. Testing certificates are available for every jar.
- Sustainable Source – Manuka is an indigenous tree of New Zealand and can only be sourced from our unique and beautiful country. Our Manuka honey is an organic, natural living food meaning it still contains all the natural pollens and enzymes as it is the original sweet liquid produced by the bees
If you’re still looking for high-potency Manuka honey at an affordable cost, then you found Airborne Manuka honey!
This Manuka honey comes with a rating of NPA between 8 and 12. NPA stands for Non-Peroxide Activity which simply refers to the antimicrobial capabilities beyond the honey healing properties. This excellent rating means that this honey has what it takes to deal with a wide range of your body ailments.
Like all the other honey featured on this list, this honey comes from New Zealand, the home to Manuka honey. It’s packed in raw and pure form without any form of filtering or heating that might compromise its healing and nutritious benefits.
Unlike most companies out there which pack their honey in dark jars, Airborne prefers packaging their honey in clear jars so that you can see what you’re buying.
Many people have used this honey before and are openly confessing how they have experienced its medical properties firsthand. One customer stated that it helped him deal with oesophagal reflux, which he has battled with for 40-plus years. Other users have completely treated sore throats, upset stomachs, sore throats, etc., with this honey.
- Genuine NZ Manuka honey
- Pure, raw, natural honey
- Traceable from the shelf to the hive
- 70+ Manuka honey pollen
- Size: 500g / 17.85oz
Wedderspoon Raw Organic Manuka Honey
Our list of the best Manuka honey reviews comes to an end with this Wedderspoon Raw Organic Honey. If it’s from Wedderspoon, then it’s definitely genuine, and it’s made of quality!
This is the best option for anyone looking for highly potent Manuka honey, which is both Raw and Organic. It is rated KFactor 12 (remember Wedderspoon’s unique rating system), which means it contains the complex compounds found in genuine Manuka honey.
As raw honey, this Manuka is packed without any pasteurizing or filtering, ensuring it contains all the naturally occurring elements in honey; what’s more, it’s organic honey which is harvested from healthy bees and contains no additives, corn syrup or other artificial sweeteners.
We weren’t surprised to learn that many people have enjoyed the healing benefits of this honey—from treating face masks to treating cancer, acid reflux, to sore throats, among other healing benefits. Its great taste combines with a smooth, creamy texture to make this hone a healthy spread or a natural sweetener for your drinks.
- Genuine New Zealand Manuka honey
- RAW honey: antibiotic-free, unpasteurized honey
- KFactor 12 rating
- 100% non-GMO project verified
- Packed in a 17.6oz jar
How To Choose Manuka Honey?
The high demand for Manuka honey has seen an increased availability of the same everywhere—from your local health food store to online stores.
But before you purchase any Manuka honey, we strongly advise you to be sure of what you’re buying since NOT all Manuka honey is the same.
Even worse, you don’t want to fall into the tricks of the fake Manuka honey brands (many of them exist!)
Below, we’ll walk you through some powerful tips which will help you get the REAL deal when it comes to Manuka honey.
Unique Manuka Factor (UMF) Certification
The MOST important thing to look for in Manuka honey is the UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) licensing/certification.
Make sure you ONLY buy your honey from a brand that has been licensed by the New Zealand government to produce Manuka honey.
The UMF certification is the proof here.
Just a quick reminder…UMF is a New Zealand-based independent industry association which sets standards for Manuka harvesting and packaging.
If you buy with UMF seal, it means it’s the real, authentic Manuka honey which contains all the special healing compounds linked to it.
Check the UMF Rating
Once you’ve gotten a UMF-certified honey, you’d want to look at the UMF rating to get an idea of its healing potency.
The UMF rating ranges from 5+ to 26+ and simply indicates the therapeutic or medicinal capacity of any given honey.
In other words, it determines the MGO (Methylglyoxal, the substance responsible for Manuka honey’s medicinal benefits) levels in the honey.
The higher the rating (or the number), the more potent the honey.
So, which is the best Manuka honey for you, based on the rating?
Let’s find out…
- UMF 5+ to 9+: any honey falling within this range is just like normal honey with minimal MGO levels, meaning it’s less potent. If you’re looking for honey for regular, continuous use, go for this UMF rating.
- UMF 10+ to 14+: this honey contains medium medicinal/therapeutic properties. We can safely term it a naturopathic medicine substance.
- UMF 15+ to 19+: any Manuka honey in this category has a really strong therapeutic effect and can be used to treat a wide range of ailments.
- UMF 20+ to 26+: this is the kind of Manuka honey with concentrated MGO levels, meaning it has maximum biological activity and the ultimate medical effectiveness.
Other Grading Systems
Apart from the UMF rating, Manuka honey also comes in other grading systems, which you should consider checking in the honey you’re buying.
The most common ones include:
(i). MGO Rating:
As you can easily tell, the MGO rating system is used to determine the amount of the MGO (Methylglyoxal) compound in Manuka honey.
It’s important to note that MGO and UMF are directly relative. This means that if the honey has high levels of MGO, its UMF rating will also be high…and it’ll provide you with stronger medical benefits.
Use this chart to help you interpret the MGO rating system:
|MGO Rating||Equivalent UMF Rating|
Quick Tip: If you want to use Manuka honey for its medical benefits, any package rated MGO+ 400 or more will help you combat a wide range of health issues.
(ii). K-factor Rating
The KFactor rating usually determines the amount of Manuka pollen present in a given Manuka honey. This further helps you determine the quality of the honey you’re buying.
Here’s a quick chart for the KFactor rating system:
- KFactor 12: Honey contains 65% Manuka plant pollen
- KFactor 16: Honey contains 75% Manuka plant pollen
- KFactor 22: Honey contains 90% Manuka plant pollen
The higher the pollen content, the more potent healing properties the honey contains.
Just like in the case of MGO, not all Manuka honey has a KFactor rating.
Consider Top Brands
Similar to other health supplements, buying your Manuka honey from the top brands can help you avoid falling prey to the brands which sell Manuka honey.
Remember that authentic money honey is ONLY available in New Zealand (it’s ONLY harvested and packaged in this region).
Some companies aren’t able to follow the strict production standards for Manuka honey and end up adulterating their honey to meet their performance demands.
Unfortunately, altering the honey compromises its quality and can even pose health risks to you, the consumer.
(check our next section for a list of the top Manuka honey brands that have a track record for producing authentic Manuka honey with all the health benefits intact)
This is by far the BEST way to know the type of product, whether it’s real or high quality.
If a customer buys Manuka honey from a given brand and it helps solve his/her problem, he/she will gladly come back and post a positive review to help new customers like you who are confused about the quality of the same product.
Likewise, if customers get disappointed by the product, they’ll be quick to air their disappointment. And this will help alert you on whether the product is worth your money or not.
Needless to say, the more positive reviews a product, the more confidence you should have when buying it.
UMF Certified Manuka Honey Brands
According to the statistics released by the NZ Ministry of Primary Industries, New Zealand produced around 1700 tonnes of Manuka honey in the year 2014. But statistics also show that in the same year, more than 10,000 tonnes of hone labelled Manuka honey were sold the same year.
Does thing ring a bell in your mind?
Let me translate it for you…
The statistics simply explain that out of the 10,000 tonnes of honey sold, at least 8300 were fake Manuka honey.
As you’ll agree with me, these statics clearly show that there are multiple fake Manuka honey brands out there selling fake Manuka honey.
How do you avoid buying fake honey?
Buy your honey from popular brands on the market.
Let’s take a quick look at the 5 best Manuka honey brand list below:
Started back in 2005, Wedderspoon is currently one of the most reputable brands of Manuka honey known to many families.
The company sources their honey from the native forests of New Zealand and uses the KFactor rating to indicate the level of potency of its products.
They have honey-rated KFactor 16, which means it contains up to 75% Manuka pollen and has strong medicinal properties.
If you want to enjoy the medicinal benefits of Manuka honey at a more affordable cost, consider buying from Wedderspoon.
Manukora is another popular name in the Manuka honey field and a favourite for many families across the globe.
The brand also sources its honey from New Zealand, where it’s packed and produced according to UMF standards.
Their honey comes with a UMF rating (after undergoing independent lab tests) to indicate its level of healing capabilities.
No list of the top Manuka honey brands is complete with Comvita. Starting back in 1974, this company has been on the frontline to ensure the world enjoys quality Manuka honey.
Comvita offers you some of the highest UMF-rated honey packages, with some featuring as high as UMF 20+. This is considered medical-grade honey that you can use to cure digestion issues, acne, eczema, and sore throat, to name but a few.
Keep in mind that Comvita is packaged raw (directly from hive to bottles). It also undergoes independent lab tests to assess its healing capabilities.
Happy Valley entered the honey market in 2008 and has grown to become a leading supplier of quality Manuka honey for the few years it has been in the game.
Also, a UMF-certified brand, Happy Valley’s honey, is taken through an independent lab test to determine the presence of unique Manuka healing compounds in it.
They sell you packages with a UMF rating of 10+ (for those who need less potent honey) and 15+ (for more potent antibacterial properties).
Last but not least, we have Kiva, the brand which supplies you with thick and creamy honey—just as the real Manuka honey should look like.
Their honey comes with a UMF rating as proof that it’s genuine Manuka honey.
Their UMF 15+ rated is the most popular package, which is simply medical grade hone that’ll meet your medical needs and expectations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the health benefits of Manuka honey?
Manuka honey’s potent antibacterial properties are what make it ideal for many medicinal properties.
It contains Methylglyoxal, the active ingredient, which is the likely reason behind its antimicrobial properties.
In addition to that, this honey also contains anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antiviral properties.
Here are the primary health benefits of Manuka honey (as proven by science):
- Aids in wound healing: the honey’s antibacterial and antioxidant properties aid in healing wounds. It also helps maintain a moist environment around the wood and a protective barrier which keeps off microbial infections in the wound.
- Sore throat: the antiviral and antibacterial properties can help reduce inflammation if you’re suffering from a sore throat. They also attack the bacteria causing you pain. What’s more, the honey coats the throat’s interior lining for a soothing effect.
- Stomach upsets: if you’re suffering from common digestion disorders like diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal pain, irregular bowel movements, acid refluxes, etc., taking Manuka honey regularly can help. It attacks the Clostridium bacteria responsible for various stomach issues.
- Gastric ulcers: if you’re suffering from stomach ulcers, then you might have symptoms like stomachaches, bloating, and nausea. This problem is caused by H. pylori bacteria, and Manuka honey acts as a good antibacterial agent for combating the culprit.
- Upper respiratory infections: if you take Manuka honey with potent antibacterial properties, it’ll do an excellent job at fighting Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Burkholderia spp.—the two bacteria common bacteria responsible for the infections.
- Treat acne: though acne is linked to hormonal changes, it can also occur as a result of stress, poor diet, or the growth of bacteria in clogged pores. Again, the antimicrobial activity of Manuka, combined with a low-pH product, can help fight acne.
- Improves oral health: research also shows that taking Manuka honey regularly helps inhibit the harmful bacteria that cause tooth decay and gingivitis, keeping your oral health in check.
How much Manuka honey should I eat per day?
If you’re taking medical grade Manuka honey to boost your immune system or improve your sleep, then we recommend you to take 1 teaspoon in the morning before taking any meals.
You can eat it straight or mix it with a glass of lukewarm water.
Keep in mind, however, that infants below the age of 1 and pregnancy moms shouldn’t take Manuka honey before consulting a health care provider.
Where can I buy pure Manuka honey?
You can find Manuka honey from your local store or on the online store.
Where possible, consider buying from Amazon since you’ll be able to choose from different sellers and get to compare different products before deciding on which one to buy.
What’s more, you’ll get the golden opportunity to see what other users are saying about the honey you want to ensure. This will go a long way in helping you choose quality Manuka honey.
I’m diabetic. Can I take Manuka honey?
If you have diabetes, it’s advisable to take Manuka honey. Like the other types of honey, this honey contains high levels of natural sugars. And consuming it might end up affecting your blood sugar levels.
We suggest that you consult your medical doctor before consuming the honey for professional advice.
For how long does Manuka honey last?
Generally, when honey is produced naturally, all the water in it evaporates, leaving behind insignificant moisture levels.
For this reason, the honey tends to stay fresh for an exceptionally long period of time.
With that in mind, you can expect your Manuka honey to stay fresh for many, many years, provided you store it the right way.
TIP: avoid heating or mixing your honey with other ingredients to ensure it lasts for a long period of time.
Manuka honey is by far the most superior type of honey known to humankind. Produced in the pristine forests and coastal areas of New Zealand, this honey is packaged with great levels of care and in accordance with the standards set by New Zealand UMF body.
Different Manuka honey comes with different medicinal properties to meet your unique needs. This is indicated by the standard UMF rating as well as the MGO and KFactor ratings.
With Manuka honey, combating common illnesses—like sore throat, acne, eczema, allergies, slow-healing wounds, burns, etc.—in the comfort of your home becomes easier and more effective.
If you’re looking for the best Manuka honey to buy, which provides you with all its medicinal benefits, the 10 products we’ve outlined in this guide will meet your needs.
Jen Lin-Liu is the founder of Black Sesame Kitchen. A Chinese-American writer and a nationally certified Chinese chef in Beijing. Jen is the author of two memoirs, Serve the People: A Stir-Fried Journey Through China and On the Noodle Road: From Beijing to Rome with Love and Pasta.