Today, we’re going to feature the best canned refried beans available for you to buy. Beans are a class of legumes that are among the most versatile and nutritious foods available.
They’re virtually cholesterol-free, typically low in fat, and are high in iron, potassium, folate, and magnesium.
We know that most of you have no idea about what else canned refried beans can offer, and this is precisely the reason why we’ve organized this excellent product review and buying guide.
We want to help you pick the best store-bought refried beans, and for you to do so, we ask you to read until the very end of this article to make sure you don’t miss out on anything meaningful when it comes to canned refried beans!
Best Canned Refried Beans On The 2022 Market
Taco Bell Fat-Free Refried Beans – Editor’s Pick
The Taco Bell Fat-Free Refried Beans are taken directly out of Taco Bell’s original recipe refried beans taco filling.
These canned refried beans deliver the superb character of Taco Bell to your home. It’s made of combined cooked pinto beans and pink beans that make for a celebratory side dish that will make your family’s dinner unforgettable.
We’ve tried this canned refried beans as a dip to some Taco Bell trademark chips, and of course, the experience was heavenly.
You can either eat them plain or fill your tacos with them. You can even use them as a pizza topping, and we’re sure that you’re going to love the end result.
It’s so good that we’re even willing to go as far as saying that it’s one of the best-tasting canned refried beans in existence.
If you think we’re exaggerating about this canned refried beans, we recommend you buy one and leave a comment about your experience.
Taco Bell claims that it’s vegetarian, which is good news for health-conscious individuals looking for a blockbuster side dish.
The Taco Bell Fat-Free Refried Beans is also cholesterol-free, gluten-free, and protein-rich, and they will surely bring joy to your dinner table.
- Cholesterol-free, fat-free, and gluten free
- Can be eaten as is, as a side dish, dip, or pizza topping
- Rich and bold flavor
- Recipe is taken directly out of Taco Bell’s original taco filling.
- Based on the label, it has a relatively high sodium content, so it’s better to be consumed in moderation.
Amy’s Beans – Organic Refried Beans with Green Chilies – Runner-Up
Amy’s Refried Beans, Mild with Green Chiles, Gluten Free, Organic & Vegetarian, 15.4 Ounce
- One can of Amy’s Organic Vegetarian Refried Beans with Green Chiles the whole family will love
- Made with classic refried beans, peppers and a hint of heat from green chiles
- Perfect in burritos, as a tasty side dish or even as an easy dip
- USDA Organic, Vegan, Certified Kosher, Gluten Free, Dairy and Lactose Free, Soy Free, Corn Free and Tree Nut Free
- Convenient and easy to prepare, simply heat and serve!
Amy’s is a proud supporter of GMO labelling initiatives. It claims that most of its products are non-GMO, and these canned refried beans aren’t an exception.
Amy’s Beans – Organic Refried Beans with Green Chilies are made of organic pinto beans with added green peppers and chillies.
Per our experience, these canned refried beans make for a great pizza topping. Our homemade Pizza Mexicana recipe was boosted by these refried beans.
It has a full-bodied, rich flavor with strong hints of spiciness, apparently coming from the added green peppers and chillies.
Although we haven’t tried it personally, it’s full flavor can potentially go well with other authentic Mexican dishes.
Mind you, they’re a bit spicy, so if you’re someone suffering from acid reflux, we recommend you to consume it sparingly, or better if you can just avoid them altogether.
Aside from that, we really can’t say anything against this canned refried beans. It’s flavorful and versatile that you have to buy them in packs since we’re sure that you’ll look for more once you’ve tried them, especially if you’re into spicy foods.
Overall, Amy’s Beans – Organic Refried Beans with Green Chilies is a deliciously spicy treat that you should absolutely try.
- Made of organic pinto beans with green peppers and chilies added
- Goes well with authentic Mexican dishes
- Can be a great source of fiber and protein
- Zero gram trans-fat
- USDA-certified organic.
- Not recommended for people suffering from Acid Reflux.
Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans
Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans, 16 oz
- With Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans, you can give your family a delicious Mexican-style meal
- Add Rosarita original-recipe, Mexican-style refried beans for authentic and delicious Mexican-style dishes and sides
- Heat beans over medium heat in a saucepan until hot, stirring occasionally or microwave in a covered microwave-safe dish on high for one and one-half minutes or until hot
- When it comes to your family’s Mexican food night, serve them the taste of true Mexican heritage with Rosarita
- Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans have 120 calories per serving with zero grams trans-fat
The Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans isn’t your typical canned side dish. Rosarita is a known brand when it comes to traditional Mexican products such as sauces, beans, and refried beans.
It’s an ideal complimentary dish to authentic Mexican fare. We’ve made some quesadillas and burritos, filled them with this canned refried beans, and the result was fabulous.
It has a meaty flavor typical in Mexican products. Another good thing about it is that it’s versatile enough to be used for other purposes.
It can be used as a dip for tortilla, filling for tacos, and spread for bread loaves. It will undoubtedly boost the most authentic Mexican staple foods.
You can even enjoy them as is. We’d like to think these canned refried beans are still a bit underrated, given the number of consumers who’ve already tried it.
It definitely deserves more attention. It’s made of traditional Rosarita refried beans and is free of trans-fat.
Rosarita also claims that this canned refried beans only have 120 calories per serving, which is another good news for health-conscious individuals.
The Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans is a delicious addition to your dinner table.
- Goes well with authentic Mexican dishes
- Can be used as a dip, filling, and spread
- Only have 120 calories per serving
- Trans-fat free.
- Some consumers find it too “soupy” for their taste.
365 Everyday Value Organic Refried Beans – Roasted Chili & Lime – Budget Pick
365 Everyday Value, Organic Refried Beans, Roasted Chili & Lime, 16 oz
- Brought to you by Whole Foods Market. The packaging for this product has a fresh new look. During this transition, you may get the original packaging or the new packaging in your order, but the product and quality is staying exactly the same. Enjoy!
- Non-BPA lining.
- Ready to serve.
- Fat Free, No Sugar Added.
- Certified Organic, Certified Non-GMO, Certified Vegan.
The 365 Everyday Value Organic Refried Beans – Roasted Chili & Lime is ready to serve refried beans made of organic pinto beans, organic chillies, and organic lime juice.
We must say that we didn’t even notice the chillies in this can of refried beans. It has a rich and bold flavor, ideal for those who have delicate palates.
The quality of the beans used are excellent, and the lime juice did wonders for this canned refried beans. We’ve made quesadilla out of it, added beef and cheese, and we couldn’t help but indulge in them. This refried beans gave us an absolutely pleasurable experience.
We also purchased a new can to make some empanadas, and it didn’t disappoint. Believe us when we say that this canned refried beans made it on our list for a good reason.
Aside from being packed with nutrients, these canned refried beans are fat-free and sugar-free. 365 Everyday Value also claims that it is certified organic, certified non-GMO, and certified vegan.
The 365 Everyday Value Organic Refried Beans – Roasted Chili & Lime is one of the best canned refried beans out there in the market, and you definitely wouldn’t want to miss it.
- Has a rich and bold flavor
- Superior quality ingredients
- Fat-free and sugar-free
- Certified organic, non-GMO, and vegan.
- Relatively high in sodium, so consume in moderation.
Old El Paso Refried Beans – Vegetarian – Healthy Option
Old El Paso Vegetarian Refried Beans 16 oz Can
- Great as an ingredient in your favorite dishes or as a side to complete your meal
- Heats quickly in the microwave or stove top
- Excellent Source of Fiber
- The perfect combination of beans and just the right amount of spices
The old El Paso Refried Beans – Vegetarian is made from an ideal mix of beans and the right proportion of spices.
Old El Paso claims that it’s an excellent source of fiber and that it’s certified vegan. Most consumers actually love this one, and so do we.
It’s mind-boggling how much you can get out of this can of refried beans. We’ve tried it with several Mexican foods, and it gave us a certain kind of Tex Mex experience.
If you’re fond of Tex Mex, you definitely would want to try this canned refried beans. Old El Paso wasn’t messing around when they came up with the slogan for it, which says: “Anything Goes In”.
Indeed, these canned refried beans seem to go well with just about any dish. Even non-Mexican ones. Old El Paso recommends making beef enchiladas and mini taco boats out of them.
We’ve yet to try those out, but we’re already sure that we’re going to have a fantastic experience. It has a rich flavor with hints of garlic that speaks of endless possibilities when it comes to utilizing canned refried beans. The texture is also commendable.
Overall, The old El Paso Refried Beans – Vegetarian is a must-buy canned refried beans that your family will surely love!
- Has a rich flavor and a nice texture
- Excellent source of fiber
- Certified vegan
- Goes well with just about any dish.
- Some consumers weren’t happy with the flavor.
Some Tasty Canned Refried Beans Ideas You Can Try At Home
Here’s how you can make canned refried beans better at home!
Using Them As Filling
You can try filling your Taco or your Burrito with refried beans. Most canned refried beans are ready-to-eat. Just heat them on a saucepan, and you can already serve them.
Add a bit of onion and garlic. If you’re a meat-lover, you can try adding beef or chicken to your canned refried beans, and they’ll make for an incredible filling.
Using Them As Pizza Toppings
When was the last time you’ve tried a Pizza Mexicana? If it’s ages ago, it’s high time you try canned refried beans as a pizza topping. Add some beef and chillies for a full Mexican pizza experience!
Using Them As Dip
Binge-watching your favorite TV shows often calls for some chip-munching. We know how pleasing it is to hear the sound of chips cracking in your mouth, but wait until you try dipping your chips to canned refried beans. If you’ve never tried it before, we’ll give you this top-class recommendation: Use tortilla chips!
Using Them As Rice Topping
Rice is a fantastic superfood. Although some rice varieties can be quite high in calories, we doubt you’ll be guilty when you top your rice with canned refried beans. All you need is some creativity. You can try adding tofu and whole black beans, and enjoy the delicious treat!
Using Them As Spread
Yes, canned refried beans can be used as a spread. Specific canned refried beans brands are thick enough to let you spread them over bread loaves. Try making a ham sandwich, and instead of using mayo, use canned refried beans. You can thank us later.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Best Canned Refried Beans
Generally, most canned refried beans use cooked pinto beans, which are relatively healthy compared to other bean types.
But you don’t always get this kind of beans, so you’ll have to be a bit mindful of the bean type contained on the canned refried beans you’re planning to purchase.
Canned refried beans also come in several different varieties, meaning the ingredients used vary widely. Make sure to check out a canned refried beans’ ingredients list to avoid any inconvenience.
It’s also good practice, especially if you or someone in your family have some kind of allergy. Some canned refried beans contain specific allergens that may be troublesome when left unchecked.
Make sure to consider this factor when buying a can of refried beans.
Refried beans are naturally healthy, but the process of putting them into a can requires the use of specific additives like sodium.
We all know what sodium can do to the body when taken excessively. If you’re adamant about purchasing a brand of canned refried beans with relatively high sodium content, make sure to remind your loved ones to consume them moderately.
This way, you won’t have any guilty feelings about feeding your family food with too much sodium, or if you can, just try to avoid purchasing a brand of canned refried beans that has a high sodium content.
It’s safer, and we’re sure you’ll come across something similar with much lower sodium content. This is a crucial factor that you should consider.
If you notice, we typically put “Brand” as one of the essential factors to consider, and for a good reason.
Purchasing from an established brand allows you to not only enjoy the benefits of a safe product but also being able to take advantage of certain perks such as a loyalty program, or satisfaction guarantee.
You wouldn’t get such benefits from unknown brands, and it’s not really worth risking it just because you think you’ve found the perfect canned refried beans that you can feed to your family.
It’s always good practice to consider the brand, not only canned refried beans but for other consumables in general since you’re going to consume them.
You absolutely wouldn’t want to put something unsafe not only to your body but to your family’s as well, so make sure to carefully consider this factor when buying the best canned refried beans.
This is a great factor to consider, especially for specific situations. Think about your schedule and how much time you want to spend preparing a recipe out of your canned refried beans.
- Serving from scratch – Serving from scratch means you want to make your own recipe out of your store-bought refried beans. It’s especially convenient if you wish for your refried beans to have a specific kind of flavor. You can never go wrong by adding a personal touch to your canned refried beans.
- Cook and serve – Some canned refried beans require you to cook them before you can serve them. This process typically requires you to add a bit of water to your refried beans. Much like serving from scratch, you can also alter its flavor by adding ingredients, but you have to be careful since some ingredients can actually mess up its taste.
- Heat and serve – The most convenient option of them all. If you’re a busy person, or if you just don’t feel like exerting a bit of effort to serve your canned refried beans. Simply heat them into a saucepan and serve them to your dinner table. Easy as 1, 2, 3.
Can’t get enough of canned food? Check out the best canned clam chowders and best canned sardines, too!
Canned refried beans are a versatile superfood that can go well with just about any dish. They’re packed with nutrients and provide certain health benefits thanks to beans being a superstar vegetable.
The Taco Bell Fat-Free Refried Beans is the winner of this list because of its superb flavor and sheer versatility. It’s also worth noting that even though it can be a bit high in sodium, it offers a lot of health benefits when consumed sparingly.
We hope that you enjoyed this article, and we hope that it helped you choose the best canned refried beans for you. We definitely would love to hear from you, so if you have feedback or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section!